The purpose of the Client Director role is to build a trusted advisor relationship with the IT executive of our key accounts where we have a turnkey ICT provider objective. The focus of the individual is to develop the relationship with the CIO and his/her team to:
- Knowledge and Advocacy – To intimately understand, influence and adopt the outcomes targeted by the client’s IT strategy and CIO team
- Partner – To be a business partner to the client in cost, efficiency, agility and modernisation agendas and ensure that we are able to place the client appropriately to leverage the best of what is available on the digital frontier
- Advisory – To provide access to and deliver OEM-agnostic insight that influences the strategic IT architecture, governance, methods, technology standards, IT cost structure and transformation roadmaps
- Profitability – own the client P & L for the company as a whole and ensure our sustainable profitability
- Drive programme office, service delivery management and operating units in delivering integrated solutions to the client, including risk mitigation and management, opportunity, service level and engagement management rolls up into an aggregated view of the client environment
- Delivery – To ensure successful delivery of programme, transitions and managed service outcomes in the client environment by ensuring co-ordinated delivery excellence by the multiple units delivering
- Growth – To grow the company into new opportunities in the client environment to maximise our share of wallet across the spectrum of required services in the client environment.
Primary accountability to the ICT Exco sponsor responsible for the client relationship.
The Client Director must have a strong IT background, with enterprise architecture or application solutioning a plus, to understand IT capabilities and how it can solve business problems. The CD must then also understand the client’s business well enough to apply his/her IT knowledge and experience to solve the real business issues the client is facing, by using the best possible IT solutions. The CD must be able to present such solutions to the client, facilitate a successful sale, and furthermore have the management skills to supervise and coordinate the execution of the resultant projects, by managing the programme office as required. Another function of the CD would be to manage all BAU delivery with the service delivery manager/s.
This role requires the individual to build strategic relationships with primarily the CIO, but also other C-level executives and senior Business and IT management in order to ensure we provide advisory/consulting services and knowledge to support their growing business needs. The role also requires a tactical relationship be established with Head of operations to keep our finger on the pulse of delivery. It is also crucial to form relationships with the leadership of the ICT BU’s as well as coordinate and manage the cooperation between various divisions during project execution.
Skills, Capabilities and Credentials
- Bachelors Degree in Information Technology-related programme preferred
- Experience in client and engagement management in ICT
- Experience as a CIO or senior ICT executive advantageous
- Ability to lead and co-ordinate teams and work with stakeholders
- Ability to instil rigour and discipline in project teams aligned with company standards
- Senior person with strong business and technical skills.
- Strong relationship building and networking skills
- Have solid experience in all major Enterprise Architecture domains (including Business, Application, Data & Infrastructure).
- Strong ICT applications background.
- Interpret IT strategy (target architecture, baseline architecture and roadmap) in the context of the business strategy and advise the client accordingly.
- Strong inter-personal, problem solving and management skills, who can take the lead on, and coordinate all company projects at the customer.
- Ensure alignment between implementation projects and Operations (ensure a proper Dev-Ops relationship).
- Ensure quality controls are in place and properly followed.
- Facilitate contractual and financial matters between the different parties if and when necessary.
- Provide strategic IT solutions to strategic business problems/requirements.
- Understand and communicate relevant ICT industry developments and trends to client.
- Be the custodian for a proper IT governance framework and process.
- Advising on IT practices, policies and procedures.
- Be the single point of contact for the client on all business and IT-related matters, and oversee all other IT issues/concerns/problems the client may have.
- Ensure the client sees the company as their strategic IT partner.
- Generate qualified IT sales leads for the company based on best IT solutions for real business and IT issues.
- P&L Accountability for the account
- Overall Client Ownership
- Business Development, Pipeline Management & Revenue Growth
- Co-Ordinate Business Support Functions – e.g. Legal and Finance
- Service Delivery and SLA Monitoring (via Service Delivery Management resource)
- Overall contract negotiation and management (Legal)
- Liaison with procurement and procurement and BEE governance
- Facilitate investment and decision-making processes with the client