|Position title||Electricity Development Lead|
|Department||Research and Development|
|Responsible to||Engineering Manager|
|Responsibility for staff||None|
The position exists to bridge the gap between Product Management and Product Development by devising and documenting functional solutions to market requirements that include product definitions, functional solutions, the products intended use, the product features and the product architecture and design requirements that ultimately result in the blue print for the solution to be developed.
To ensure that products are developed in-line with the business plan and corporate strategy by leading, managing and coaching project teams to ensure that projects meet time and financial expectations and that all designs meet commercial and industrial standard requirements while mitigating identified issues and risks.
|Functional relationships (relating to others)|
· Industry associations and working groups
· Company management
· Company employees
|Key result areas|
The position encompasses the following major functions or key result areas:
· To ensure that R&D efforts are aligned with the company strategy
· To ensure R&D developments are aligned with and meet market needs
· To actively participate in the Engineering Leadership Team
· To ensure continuous improvement
· Corporate contribution
The requirements in the above key result areas are broadly identified below:
|To ensure that R&D efforts are aligned with the company strategy|
· Assist in the development of product roadmaps with marketing
· Assist in the development of technology roadmaps in line with the product roadmap
· Keep abreast and monitor market and technology trends in line with the corporate strategy
· Assist marketing in the distillation of market and customer requirements for new products
· Clearly understand the product vision and business needs to define product requirements and product architectural solutions
· Work with product and project manager in planning and execution of product releases
· Attend industrial working group meetings when required
· Perform analysis of competitor products from a functional, DVC, adherence to industry specifications and manufacturability perspective.
|To ensure R&D developments are aligned with and meet market needs|
· Provide technical support both internally and externally
· The generation of detailed specifications for use by the development teams taking into account the requirements of all stakeholders including but not limited to all necessary drawings, dimensions, environmental requirements, ergonomic factors, aesthetic requirements, cost expectations, maintenance requirements, quality and safety standards, certification standards and documentation.
· Standardisation and alignment of product features and functionality, ergonomics, aesthetics and interfaces
· Provide support and input into the design specifications
· Support the validation team to ensure products are qualified against product requirements
· Assist when required with the technical aspects in relation to tender preparation
· Development of product technical specifications for use by marketing in the development of customer technical manuals
· Work with the product development teams to analyse and clarify requirements and to understand design feasibility and limitations
· Communicate to the product manager any changes needed to the product requirements based on technical or financial issues picked up during the development phases.
· Ensure that all stakeholders are aligned in terms of the product requirements
· Provide engineering input including technical, costs, schedules and risks where required
· Ensure that engineering activities are in line with company policies and procedures
· Ensure that all designs meet the requirements for both internal and external customers
· Ensure that all designs meet the quality requirements
· Ensure that all designs meet the requirements for certification
· Identify all issues and risks and develop plans to mitigate such issues and risks
· Identify, coordinate and manage external development partnerships
|To actively participate in the Engineering Leadership Team|
· To develop and control the systems engineering cost budget.
· To drive spending optimisation.
· To provide monthly reports to Engineering Manager as and when required.
· To actively participate in Engineering Leadership Team meetings.
· To work cooperatively with other department members.
· To communicate leadership team decisions and strategic direction consistently and constructively.
· To ensure that all standard operating procedures are adhered to.
· To ensure professional standards are maintained in all business situations.
· To keep up to date with developments with respect to the management system, as well as apply the policies and procedures relevant to the position.
· To communicate improvement possibilities with respect to the Code of Practice to the relevant process owner or directly to quality & customer satisfaction and participate in improvement initiatives.
· Manage and support of the value engineering process to facilitate minor design or process changes via ICR/ECO to improve efficiency.
· Develop and lead an effective skilled team with an emphasis on customer service, team culture and team objectives and undertake regular communication to ensure information is delivered in a timely manner
· Support the development of a greater focus on and understanding of commercial considerations and imperatives amongst staff
· Work within the team to achieve shared goals and targets
· Maintain communication within the team and positively contribute to a committed, capable and motivated team
Ensure the safety of employees is paramount and that Health, Safety and Environment systems and processes are followed to minimise risk
· Constructively participate as a member of the wider Company team
· Undertake any other tasks or one-off projects which may be assigned from time to time
· Ensure protection of the company’s commercial interests always and in all circumstances
· Take all practicable steps to ensure personal safety and the safety of others as a matter of priority
Demonstrate professional skill and a high standard of fairness and integrity
|Qualifications and experience|
· MSC / BSC / BTECH or equivalent electronic engineering degree
· A degree in computer science or equivalent certification is advantageous
· Good understanding of electronic hardware design principles
· Advanced understanding of electronic firmware design principles
· Good understanding of mechanical design principles
· Understanding of systems software design principles
· Advanced knowledge of electronic and software development best practices
· Good ability to interpret and convert market requirements into technical specifications
· Good ability to interpret industry specifications and communicate requirements
· Advanced understanding of the principles for design for volume manufacturing
· Knowledge of energy measurement trends and techniques would be advantageous
· Experience with Smart Metering & Smart Grid technologies would be advantageous
· 5 year’s senior electronic engineering experience in hardware and embedded firmware design
· 3 years’ experience in creating technical design specifications
· Experience in performing and executing market research activities
· Experience in the metering industry would be advantageous
· Sound knowledge of specifications related to the metering and smart metering industry would be advantageous
· Participation at working group level with the formulation of industry specifications would be advantageous
· At least 3 years managerial / leadership experience
· Drivers licence
|Key skills/attributes/position specific competencies|
|The following indicates what would typically be expected for this role at a competent level:|
· Basic understanding of engineering design principles
· Basic understanding of project management
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills – especially writing professional reports
· Strong telephonic and email etiquette
· Excellent Microsoft Office skills and Microsoft Project
· Negotiation and networking skills
· Professional approach
· Commitment to customer service
· High level of integrity and confidentiality
· Able to work under pressure
· Highly self-motivated
· Excellent team player
· Unafraid to express an opinion
· Able to communicate complex technical information and ideas effectively
· Strong ability to influence
· Excellent presentation skills
· Strong writing ability
· Proven computer literacy including email,
· Ms office
· Engineering software systems
· Analytical thinking
· Client focus
· Personal development
· Planning and organising
· Adaptability and Flexibility
· Attention to detail
· Advocating Causes
· Analysis and Reasoning
· Decision making & Judgment
· Design Thinking
Please email your cv to email@example.com with the Subject: Embedded. Due to the high volumes of CV’s, should you not hear from us within 1 week, your application was unsuccessful.